Tuesday, December 29, 2009

To My Friend

Advanced Calculus. It was one of the toughest course, to me. And my outstanding marks was not something to be proud of. Worried and sad at the same time. I am graduating soon.
We were getting ready to go to the campus for the final exam. I checked everything, I got everything.. or so I thought.

I was about to walk out to the door when suddenly she said,
"Did you leave something behind?"
"No..." I replied. Still worried.
"Are you sure?" She asked again, looking straight at me.
"No...I don't think so" Honestly, I didn't think so.

We boarded the bus and arrived safely at the creepy hall. It was not haunted of course, but it was the examination hall, hence the precise description of the hall. And, it was my Advanced Calculus final exam! Recalling the triple integration question sent chill down the spine.

I sat somewhere, my mind was blurry. Then, like a thunder it came. I left my calculator!
And she knew that I left it, she must have seen it...she was referring to my calculator.
Panic turned into horror. But I tried to be calm.
My lecturer walked by with his cheerful smile and slowly I raised my hand.
"Yes..?"
"Sir...do you happen to have a calculator?"
"O..you don't need one.."
"I don't?...."
"Yup..."
"Ooo...ok.."

It was a relief to hear that, I calmed down for a while.
Then...
No... you are the lecturer, YOU don't need a calculator, I am the student and not a very brilliant one. I need a calculator.

That was 20 years ago. I passed the paper, without using a calculator.
I graduated, yes.. Alhamdulillah.
But the incident gave me nightmares for a few years. I would wake up in the middle of the night, holding my chest in panic until I realized, Fuhh... I've graduated. And went back to sleep smiling.

That girl was my roommate. My best friend. I was mad and disappointed, why can't she just tell me that I left the calculator? Why? It would've saved me from all those heartbreaking moments.
But, she is my best friend. I forgive her. I forgave her, long time ago.

My friend, if you are reading this, please write to me. We could laugh together about this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have the same experience,but thank Allah i passed the paper too =),but i cant help of feeling mad to your friend,its too much i think,but still,the nice you will never let the friendship break for only something just happened..history..=)anyway,its truly a nice article,teach me a lot..thanks mdm =)
-your student long time ago,=)-

mawar said...

Salam
to 'my student long time ago'
:)

Of all the people, our family, friends and the people close to us, they are the ones who most deserve our forgiveness.

thank you for visiting. Have a blessed day. :)